This is a very flexible recipe to which you can add more or less any of the summer vegetables you have (french beans for example)
Ingredients (for 2)
- 400g ripe tomatoes
- Additional Cherry tomatoes halved
- 1-2 courgettes
- 200g risotto rice
- 1/2 Onion
- Garlic to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 500ml vegetable (or chicken) stock
- Oil for frying
- Grated Parmesan
- Finely dice the onion and put it to fry with the oil over a low heat in a wide frying pan.
- Fry gently until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic & coriander seeds
- Stir in the rice until all coated with oil and onion
- Add half the stock and simmer gently
- Meanwhile skin the tomatoes by scoring them and putting them in boiling water for a minute or two and dice them.
- If you want, you can remove the seeds (but keep the juice it adds flavour).
- Add the chopped tomatoes and juice to the pan and simmer until all the tomato juice is absorbed
- Meanwhile put the chopped courgettes and cherry tomatoes in a roasting pan in the oven at 180/200C and roast for 10-12 minutes until just soft
- Add the remaining stock to the rice and continue to simmer until its all absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- When the rice is cooked stir in the parmesan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Server topped with the courgettes and cherry tomatoes
There you go, about 30-40 minutes from start to end and the risotto using tomatoes & courgettes.
As far as we can see, you can stir in any vegetables you have, just cut them up so they will cook either in the oven with the cherry tomatoes or in the rice base.